Thursday, June 14, 2012

London's calling and Surrey sprinter is ready to answer at Paralympic Games

By Michael Booth, Surrey Now June 14, 2012 1:42 PM

Photograph by: MATT LAW , Surrey NOW

  
Guildford's Nathan Dewitt has met all the qualifying standards and now awaits the call to represent Canada at the 2012 Paralympic Games in London.
 

Guildford's Nathan Dewitt has met all the qualifying standards and now awaits the call to represent Canada at the 2012 Paralympic Games in London.

It took him 15 years to realize it, but Nathan Dewitt is built for speed.
The 21-year-old Johnston Heights Secondary grad has found his calling and now his wheelchair is aimed at the 2012 Paralympic Games in London.
"It's interesting because I've never really had anything that I was any good at or could be described as a talent," Dewitt said after taking a few warm-up spins around the track at Holy Cross High School this week. "I would say this is a talent though. It was just natural ability at first because I didn't really work out before I tried it; I was just naturally kind of bulky with the muscle and the drive needed for the sport."
Born with spastic dyplegia cerebral palsy, Dewitt is fortunate enough to be in the high functioning end of the disability spectrum. He can walk without support and is eager to try different sports whenever he can. Defying the doctors' initial prognosis, Dewitt is happy to prove he can excel at whatever activity he puts his heart into.
"I wasn't supposed to ride a bike, walk or anything like that - but I do it all," he said proudly. "I like trying new sports. When I was 15 I decided to try sledge hockey and that's where it started. Sledge hockey kind of kicked me into gear and I've been really active ever since. I've tried all kind of sports - wheelchair basketball, kneeboarding, sledge hockey, tennis and of course wheelchair racing."

Ah yes, the chair. At the recommendation of his physiotherapist, Dewitt first decided to give wheelchair racing a whirl six years ago. He came out to a training session at Holy Cross where a beat up purple racing chair was provided for him. Dubious at first, Dewitt gave the battered wheels a couple of hard shoves and bingo, he was hooked.
"Once I tried it, a switch went on and I knew this was what I wanted to do," he recalled. "It was a lot of fun the first time I tried a racing chair. Once I got up some speed on the track, I loved it.
"The coaches saw the kind of potential I had and they put me in a better chair. By my third time out on the track, the coaches were coming out and helping me with equipment and technique."
Dewitt's first competition came three months later at the Dogwood meet at the University of Victoria. Still thinking of the sport as a recreational pursuit, Dewitt showed up to race wearing a T-shirt and denim shorts. He managed to post a respectable time - fast for his experience at the time, but slow by his current standards.
"Back then I was racing for recreation - I was actually racing in jean shorts," he said with a laugh. "Since then I've switched gears and I take it much more seriously. I train hard, I work on my pushing technique and I really work hard to get faster times.
"When you get a custom racing chair with the carbon fibre wheels, it makes a huge difference. Not only does it look fast, it actually helps you go fast too. It's amazing how much a good chair fitted for your style and body can help you improve."
Dewitt was still wearing his jean shorts when he first tried his current racing chair but he could not fit into it. He has competed in spandex ever since.
After tearing up the local tracks for years, Dewitt was looking forward to his first taste of international competition at the World Championships in New Zealand in January. Unfortunately, medical complications spoiled those plans and Dewitt was forced to spend the winter training hard in hopes of another international invitation. That finally came in May when he travelled to Switzerland to compete in a couple of meets. The goal was to meet the international elite standards required for consideration to be included in the Canadian team that will compete at the London Paralympic Games following the 2012 Olympics.
Needing to hit 17.99 seconds for the 100-metre sprint, Dewitt breezed past the mark with a clocking of 17.14.
Unfortunately for Dewitt, windy conditions that day rendered the times unofficial. Undaunted, Dewitt hit the track at another Swiss meet where he overcame a headwind and posted a sizzling time of 16.89.
Meanwhile in the 200m sprint, Dewitt blazed past the international standard of 32.48 with a time of 31.19 seconds.
"I was so ecstatic when I saw those times," he said. "I wasn't jumping around of course, but I was so happy. The event coach for Canada was there and he was with all the massage therapists and they were all high-fiving when my time came up. Wheelchair racing is really team oriented so when standards are met like that, everyone is happy for the racer."
Since returning from Switzerland, Dewitt has been busy competing in local meets where he has consistently exceeded the international elite standards for his choice events.
He has been training hard and trying not to think too much about the upcoming announcement of the Canadian Paralympic team following the Canadian National Championships in Calgary at the end of the month.
"My friends keep asking me if I know anything more about going to London," he said. "Everyone is getting excited about it but I'm not thinking about it yet because I don't want to be disappointed when they finally make the announcement. I'm trying not to let the waiting get to me. My standards have been met, now they just have to call my name."
twitter@boothnow

No comments:

Post a Comment