Thursday, August 9, 2012

AMAZING DAY AT ROYAL COLUMBIAN HOSPITAL NICU!

Today I went back to where it all started for me..... the Neo Natal Intensive Care Unit at Royal Columbian Hospital (RCH),where both my brother Brenndon and I spent 10 weeks of our first days of life.

Shannon and Adrienne from the RCH Foundation thought that my story, being born at just 27 weeks old and making it to the Paralympics would help offer some of the families who currently have babies in the NICU some hope. I was blown away with what they had instore for me!!! When I first arrived I was met by one of the Head Nurses that took care of Brenndon and I.....after 21 years she still remembered us!!! Then we all went down to the NICU and when I walked in I was greeted with people clapping and taking pictures. The nursing staff presented me with a large bunch of red/white (Cda colors) roses and a huge personalized card with words of congratulations and encouragment.

There was a premie baby there I actually got to hold him------ man was he small ---- but the nurse said Brenndon and I were still smaller :)

The nurses had decorated a room complete with the Canada Flag, Canada Cake and best of all words of encouragement all over the walls on red paper- WOW!! So much more than I ever expected. They are all really special people who work there and they all oviously enjoy their work. It was nice to go back and let them all know that both Brenndon and I turned out OK!!

Global TV and the Vancouver Sun were there to interview my whole family and take pictures which I will upload once they send them to us. They will be running the piece, we think August 20 just before I leave for London but I'll let everyone know once it's confirmed.

Thanks again to Shannon Henderson for putting this all together
and all the Nurses in the NICU!!

3 comments:

  1. You are most welcome, Nathan! Many thanks again to you and your wonderful family for visiting with the RCH team and families in the NICU. You are an inspiration to us all. Go Nathan, Go!!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathan,
    My name is Mike Beauchene and I am the parent of the baby you got to hold in the NICU. We were very disappointed to miss you that day, as we had to return home for some dental work! It was an honor to have an olympian hold spencer, and I hope one day he can follow in your foot steps and show great pride and determination for yourself and your country, like you do! We wish you the best in London! Like you, Spencer was born premature at 24 weeks gestational age. He weighed 1 lb 5 oz. when you held him he was three months old and 5 lbs! He has come along way, and at one point we almost lost him to an ecoli infection. The NICU staff at RCH save his life! They do God's work there, and you are living proof! Good luck in London, Spencer, Jen and I will be rooting you on! And maybe sometime down the road Spencer can meet you again to hear about your story of representing Canada at the Olympics! You can follow Spencer's story here: www.spencerbeauchene.shutterfly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike,
    It was really an honor for me to hold Spencer. I've never held a baby never mind one as small as Spencer! It's hard for me to even think that both my brother and I were this little - it just blows my mind!

    Thank you for your very kind words and encouragement. It means alot to me to know that so many people are supporting me.

    It would be another honor for me to meet up with Spencer down the road so I can tell him all about my Paralympic experience.

    We premies have to stick together and we've all got this connection that nobody can ever take away!

    Stay strong Spencer and know you are in thoughts and prayers.

    Thanks again Mike & Jen for letting me share Spencer's spot light!

    'GO CANADA GO'

    ReplyDelete